Re: Cannot start X on my Toshiba...

On So, 1.08.2004, 02:34, Rony sagte:
> Hi,
>
> Thanx everybody for your help, sorry for the late post. I'll try to
> upgrade to newer version. Btw, if I want to upgrade to Sarge using
> apt-get, will the kernel also get updated? Or I must compile the newer
> kernel myself?

i would suggest you install sarge via the netinstaller ISO from
www.debian.org, that's the easiest thing to do. sarge comes with a
2.4.whatever kernel, you need to compile your own kernel if you want
a newer one.

> And... I still have problem to connect to internet from my office
> LAN... I've run dhclient, and change the /etc/resolv.conf. We use auto
> config, not static IP. Anything I left out? (Windows installation in my
> laptop can connect)

have a look at /etc/network/interfaces. be sure there is a line that looks
like

iface eth0 inet dhcp

if you want to use a dhcp server instead of static addressing. if you
need to change the line (hint : comment out the lines for the static setup
rather than deleting them), be sure to do a "/etc/init.d/networking
restart" afterwards. no need to mess with /etc/resolv.conf

tim