Re: 3d sarge 9600

my wrote:
Dear Friends,
The 2.6.6 ati driver has no 3d accel for the 9600 card, as far as I can tell
or configure it to work.
I have indeed  googled, and am familiar with the flavio bits, but would
prefer a direct approach.
 Can someone help me?
 I am happy to recompile the kernel, but I have the feeling something I
should compile as modules is compiled in.
 I had hoped to install the drivers from ati with alien, then a --force
install to eliminate the glx conflict, but need an experienced hand to guide
me.
 Also, for the M10, I presume I want to install the driver listed under 9600
in the linux group.
Heretofore, my efforts result in the error that the driver can only be
compiled for kernels 2.4 and later.  Obvisously a header is missing, or
something.
Idiot proof instructions are appreciated, as things like, "remember to use
kernel agpart"(okay this I can do, but you get the idea) are really no much
help, as, could I do it,  with the amount of stuff on the rage site and the
flaviostanchina stuff is a bit too obtuse for me.

I used to just force the overwrite and make install in the 2.4 kernel.  Why
is this suddenly so hard?

Thanks and best wishes,

Martin

Hi!