Re: Synaptic Touchpad, Batery Status on SOTEC WL2120C

.: Alex Budiyanto :. wrote:

Hi, all....
iam a newbie and i have a problem with my laptop... i was install linux mandrake 10 CE. bu i have a problem with synaptic touchpad and batery status... they can't detect by my linux. if i use debian distro...what must i do..?? sorry my english is very bad... regards.. Alex Budiyant

what is the model of your laptop ?

does your kernel (and your laptop) support ACPI ?

if yes, install the acpid package (debian package acpid, mandrake ?).
if not, try something with apm (but i don't know how it works).

to install the synaptics touchpad :

first, if your bios allow it, disable the native bios usb support.

second, see if your kernel recognize the synaptics touchpad :
dmesg | less

you should have lines like this :
------------------
Synkernaptics Touchpad, model: 1 Sensor: 29
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> 4 multi-buttons, i.e. besides standard buttons
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
-------------------

if not, install a recent kernel, 2.6.6 or 2.6.7.

Maybe the X driver for the synaptics is not installed.
execute :
find /usr -name  '*synaptics*'
you should have a line as :
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o

if not, install the package (in debian, it is only in the unstable section, for mandrake, I don't know). you can install the driver manually, if you don't want to migrate to unstable. src and doc is at http://w1.894.telia.com/%7Eu89404340/touchpad/index.html

Be careful, if have a configured mouse more to your touchpad, in the section "serveurLayout" of the XF85Config,
*put* the mouse *after* the synaptics. Example :

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier      "Default Layout"
       Screen          "Default Screen"
       InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
       InputDevice     "Synaptics Mouse"       "CorePointer"
       InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"      "AlwaysCore"
EndSection