OT: Anybody get AMR modem to work with 2.6 kernel

Thought I'd try with laptop users first.

I  have a Toshiba TE2100 with an Intel 82801CA/CAM 8086:2486 ICH3 modem.

Under a 2.4 kernel I can get it to work with the Smart Link slmdm-2.7.7
driver. That driver does not cover the 2.6 kernel.
I've tried the latest slmodem-2.9.9 driver. It will install but fails
when it comes to device creation. I'm using the 2.6.6 kernel.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has found a way to get the
moddem working. Everything else seesm to work, 'though I have not tried
the Infra-Red port.

TIA,
        Tim