problems getting static ip to work

Title: Message
Hi:
 Let me preface my question by saying I am a novice on Linux
  I have a laptop running Debian, whose network interface is a  pcmcia card.
I use it as an IMAP mail server. Recently, I tried giving it a static IP address.
by changing /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and filling in the appropriate fields
 (I actually used pcnetconfig, so it generated the file for me)
My /etc/network/interfaces looks like this
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
eth0
 iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.6
netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.2.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

ifconfig -a
does seem to give me information that eth0 is configured (I can even it ping it from another machine on the network)

I am noticing 2 problems.

On boot up I get a "neighbor table overflow" message. I was told this has something to do with the loopback not being configured, but I thought my interfaces file should take care of this.

More importantly, my IMAP daemon does not seem to be retrieving any mail from my Pop server.
I tried doing a
% telnet 127.0.0.1 imap2

and it hangs......

I think I'm going in circles here and I'd appreciate it if someone can explain to me what the problem is and how I might fix it?

Thanks much