Re: WLAN-Card on Sarge

> So, what's the advantage of using hotplug for bringing up the interface
> over cardmgr running /etc/pcmcai/network(.opts)?

Hotplug is the buggy work-in-progress standard mechanism of the future
whereas cardmgr is the debugged bloated obsolete mechanism of the past.
Take your pick.

> I tried that once, and maybe didn't understand the config.  I was
> actually looking for a way in /etc/network/interfaces to run a script
> and have the exit code control how the interface is brought up.

Look at the ifupdown package:

    http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/ifupdown-roam.html

Even if you don't want to install the package, the README file may
be helpful to you.

> > Expect further problems.  Debian's support for dynamic configuration
> > sucks.
> > To gain an understanding of how badly it sucks, start reading the bugs
> > open against hotplug and ifupdown.
>
> Is that a Linux issue or Debian?

It's a Debian issue.  The hotplug and ifupdown maintainers are inactive.
However, I don't know of any other distros that have better support for
automatic dynamic configuration of laptops.  Do you?

> I did notice that with 2.4.21 and wlan-ng that cardmgr was better at
> removing the card -- I'd pull the card and the drivers would be removed
> without delay.  Now with 2.6.5 and Orinoco|HostAP there's either a long
> delay or a system hang.  I don't think that's a cardmgr issue, though --
> as I've tried manually removing the drivers (ifdown eth1; rmmod
> <driver>) and have the same problems.  So, I'll agree that it's either a
> problem with the driver dealing with being removed, or the kernel.

I should make one thing clear.  If you have PCMCIA cards then you always
need cardmgr per se.  When you put an "exit 0" at the top of
/etc/pcmcia/network you only disable the interface configuration code.
However, cardmgr is still used to load drivers, to control the sockets,
to beep, etc.

--
Thomas Hood