Re: usb +pcmcia laptop toshiba

> I bought a Toshiba Satellite A40 a couple of weeks ago and it installs
> perfectly with current Debian Installer versions. Kernel 2.6.5 seems to me
> support the hardware better then 2.4.26, so I decided on installing with
> 'linux26'.
> All hardware is recognized correctly; powermanagement works great (screen
> intensity & blanking, battery management and kernel throttling; no suspend
>
> yet); and PCMCI and USB seem to be installed correctly (USB 'tested' with
> joystick; otherwise not tested yet as I don't have any devices).

  I installed sarge with sarge-i386-netinst.iso.
  I did choose "expert26"
  Everything was ok with the basic install.  (kernel 2.6.3)
  pppoeconf, and ADSL is ok
  dselect to update - sarge updated
  but whan I quit dselect the system freezed (no keyboard ??)
  I had to power off and reboot the laptop to refain control
  Then dselect again to install X
  X not ok => no device pci 0:2:0
  dpkg-reconfigure xserver (update with pci 0:2:0) and X is ok

  Now, instead of installing fvwm,... I chosen to install KDE (dummy package)

  And KDE was ok, usb was ok, the sound was ok.
  But I had now 3gb on my disk !!

  Because I was now convinced the sound should work I decided to install
  a new sarge but without kde and without netinst.
  So I used the iso images made with jigdo (cd1,cd2,cd3)
  As ususal /dev/cdrom is not ok  (used hdc)
  install X - ok (but only after a dpkg-reconfigure)
  install fvwm,xfig,mozzila ok
  then install alsa-base,alsa-utils,alsa-mixer,alsaplayer,...cdcd

  And the sound is OK too !!

  Thanks again for you answer.

  carex.