Re: advanced touchpad features with ALPS touchpad

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 01:37:13AM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello
>
> Micha Feigin wrote:
> >Anyone knows if its possible to get ALPS touchpad to provide the same
> >advanced features like synaptics (mainly I want the edge scroll).
> >
> >I saw something about patching 2.6 kernel to get it to function with
> >the X synaptics driver, but not much else about it.
>
> Where can we get this patch ?

The seem to be two patches, no experience yet with any of them.  One
small one that comes with the xfree86-driver-synaptics package and is
sitting in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-driver-synaptics/alps.patch.gz and a
big one which I am not sure what it does, but it messes with the whole
input directory of the kernel. It is pointed to (for kernel 2.4) from
http://gaugusch.at/vaio/configuration.shtml, there seem to be a version
for kernel 2.6 in
http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/input/2_6_6/input-cumulative.patch.gz

I just got edge scrolling working under 2.4 without any additional
patches by installing xfree86-driver-synaptics and following the
README.alps and README.Debian files. vertical scrolling works great,
horizontal is funny, mozilla interprets it as forward/back in history,
it not clear if emacs is doing anything with it. Any pointers on setting
the behavior for this?

Couldn't get corner tapping to work, if anyone has any pointers. I set
all corners to emulate button two for the moment but none of them seem
to work except for the very rare case and I can't figure out the
rule. Will be very happy for pointers as this can be a very nice
feature.