Linuxant Driver Loader

I just installed Debian Woody from a binary CD on my new laptop which has a Broadcom 54g wireless network card.  I understand that this device does not have a native driver under Linux, but the company Linuxant does provide a driverloader that will run windows drivers.  Linuxant even has the driverloader packaged as a .deb file.  But when I try to install it I run into problems.

The installation complains that I do not seem to have pre-built modules for Debian-3.0 linux-2.4.18-bf2.4 i686 (this is my kernel) and that it is trying to automatically build them.  Then it asks for my linux source build directory.  Since I installed from binaries I do not have one.  The default it offers is /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 so I found, downloaded, and installed the deb for that.  Then when I tried to install the driverloader I got the message
  depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/misc/driverloader.o
  depmod:   dump_stack
  dpkg:  error processing driverloader (--install)

It seemed to me that it is not enough to just get the headers so I also got kernel-source-2.4.18_2.4.18-14.3_all.deb, installed it---it gave me a bz2 file which I unpacked into /usr/src/linux---and then tried to install the driverloader.  This time it complained that /usr/src/linux/include/linux/autoconf.h was missing, but then went on to say that it found /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4 and offered to try to use it to build a "temporary kernel tree."  When I said "yes" and hit return the install stopped responding.

After googling around I found some other suggestions including copying the configuration file from the boot directory to .config in the source directory, running "make xconfig" and "make dep" and then installing the driver loader.  But this hasn't worked.

Has anybody else been through this?  I seem to need a "properly configured kernel source tree" but I really don't know what this is.  Do I need to compile a kernel?  I would really appreciate any pointers.

Ed Kademan
ed_kademan@yahoo.com

Do you Yahoo!?