Re: Ati Mobility 9700

Sebastian Bleikamp (Sebastian.Bleikamp@post.rwth-aachen.de) wrote:
> Its a Ati MOBILITY 9700, which has another chipset than the std. 9700. But
> I got it working with the fglrx drivers. Unfortunately, this driver does
> not like fb devices ... makes the whole system hang.

I have the same problem with ATI Mobility 9600 when using the fglrx +
radeonfb. I didn't have this problem when I used earlier versions of
fglrx and 2.6.2. The problem is that the whole system hangs when you
switch from X to console.

There's two workarounds I know of:
  1. Disable DRI. Add thisline to your XF86Config-4:
  Option "no_dri" "yes"

  2. Don't use framebuffer, this will enable you to use DRI.

If anyone know of a better solution, please share! Reading the ATI's
troubleshooting guide, you should specify a 'vga=nnn' to get pass this
problem. I don't believe that option has any affect on the new radeonfb
tho.

Örjan