Re: detecting ethernet connection

Hello,

have you tried its brother `waproamd' ?

hth,
Jerome

Andreas Stempfhuber wrote:
Hi all,

Am Montag, 26. April 2004 21:40 schrieb François TOURDE:

Try "apt-get install ifplugd" ... A fantastic tool using run-parts
to run on plug/unplug status.

very nice tool, it works also with WLAN (ndiswrapper), if the WLAN interface is already pre-configured with iwconfig.

Therefor my question is, is there a designed way to pre-configure a network interface without activating it?

My current workaround is to use the lo interface to pre-configure wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
        pre-up iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid afulinux

wlan0 has no auto statement and therefor is only activated by ifplugd if the HF part of the WLAN device is turned on (my notebook has a key to turn it on and off). This is working fine with my current configuration, but however, the configuration itself looks like a workaround for me...

Is there a designed way to configure things like this?

Regards,
Andreas