cpu scaling on Dell 5150

Hey everyone,

If anyone's got cpu frequency scaling working with a P4 maybe you can
tell me what I'm missing.  The computer is a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a
3.06GHz Mobile Pentium 4, debian testing and 2.6.5 kernel.  I seem to
have everything in place, cpu frequency scaling compiled into the
kernel, together with performance and powersave governors, userspace
governor as default, frequency tables helpers too, and the p4-clockmod
module as driver (I've also tried the acpi modules with the cpudyn -acpi
option).  All the relevant files show up under
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/, cpudynd starts (also tried
cpufreqd and cpuspeed) and seems to load, but then it begins to switch
between "performance" and "powersave" constantly, with powersave only
lasting for about a second or so (I monitor this whole thing with the
gkrellm cpufreq plugin), and the clock speed never really goes down for
any significant amount of time, even though the processor load is under
10% most of the time, so I can notice no cooling or power saving at all.
CPU temperature is around 70C most of the time.

I use gkrellm to monitor most everything, but I assume that the cpu
speed that appears in the CPU krell is read from /proc/cpuinfo.  If I
stop cupdyn and manually set powersave with "echo powersave >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor" I cannot see a
noticable result in actual cpu speed either.

Thanks, here's the relevant section of my .config just in case:

#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y

#
# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=m