Re: Dell & Debian ?

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 23:43, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to get a new portable, and my employer pushes Dell on us.
> Any particular models that have a good track record with Debian?
> Know video chipsets that work or do not work well? Weird screen sizes?
> Battery power management success/failures?

Well, from a support standpoint, having Dell pushed on you isn't such a
bad thing. I've had a Dell laptop for 3 years now, and the longest
turnaround I've ever had for repairs has been 4 days. Meaning Airborne
Express comes to my door on Monday and picks up the laptop, and returns
it to my door on Thursday, all at Dell's expense. Usually it's done
within 3 days. (i.e. Mon - Wed) But, lets get to the Debian on Dell part
of the question. :)

I've been using a Inspiron 8000 for years now with now problems. It
really has great support all around. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which
Dell laptops nowadays are similar enough to benefit from all the I8K
support out there. I'd imagine that the newer ones in the Inspiron line
would get decent support, but I'd suggest you wait for someone with
experience with a newer model to comment before committing to anything.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837