Re: Unable to install Debian SID on new laptop :-(

That's an excellent suggestion, but I don't think it will actually help me. The drives aren't invisible to the disk-based boot loader, it just fails at the initrd stage. The drives are invisible to Lindows Live, but if I turn off the first ide, then the CD will be dead, so I won't be able to use Lindows Live in order to sense the disk which would then be at hda.

It's clever, but I'm either missing something even cleverer, or I think it won't solve my problem...

Thanks for the response!