Re: IBM R40e: external USB floppy does not work

Hi again...
> On 14 Apr 2004, gingupin@yahoo.de wrote:
> Hello Jörg,
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> > #fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> This gives me a truely odd result
>  --8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
> fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 1 MB, 1474560 bytes
> 1 heads, 3 sectors/track, 960 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 3 * 512 = 1536 bytes
>
>  --8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
> /dev/sda1   ?   639983657  1263044256   934590898+  61  SpeedStor
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
> --8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---
and so on....

This is not so bad as it looks at first sight !

I had the same problem with an USB-STick which was something like
"preformated" for microsoft. In my case it was the result of "partition
magic".

There are two "options" now .... if you want to make it easy:

#mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda
makes it possible to create a new filesystem on the whole device OR:
#fdisk /dev/sda
and then you start to delete all the partitions and create a new partition
table.... BUT...
But if there is already data on the disk the easiest way would be to
reassemble the disk to a microsoft system, make a backup of the data and then
recreate the partition table with fdisk.

Jörg