Installing new kernel

    Im trying to upgrade the kernel on my Toshiba from 2.2.20-idepci to 2.6.5 (source)
or 2.6.4 (debian source, downloaded with apt). Everything compile well, but when rebooting  and selecting the new kernel image the screen becomes black... i dont get even a "kernel panic" message. And if i boot using the old kernel image, works fine.

   I have done this all the time with my PCs, dont know why the black screen with the laptop. If someone have a clue... thanks in advance.

Cheers, Augusto.

Obs: the kernel runs my lilo, and install things on /boot... im using the image it puts
on /boot to boot.