Re: Acer Travelmate 290 & Standby/Suspend to disk ?

> I had to install several "external" modules by myself, namely
> ndiswrapper (for Intel 2100 W-Lan) and sl-modem (for build in
> software modem).  , but even that worked without any problems.

A few tips:
The sl-modem drivers are in debian (testing and unstable), package names:
 sl-modem-daemon - SmartLink software modem daemon
 sl-modem-source - SmartLink software modem driver - module building source
They are a breeze to install using debian make-kpkg

And for the w-lan card check out http://ipw2100.sf.net, Intel and the
community are writing an open-source driver.

> The only things that didn´ t work out of the box are the accelerated ati
> drivers for the Ati Mobility 9600 M10 (RV350) and the
> standby/suspend/hibernate modes. And thats why I´m writing in here now.

My 291LCi has the intel graphics chips, so I'm not sure if i can help but..

<snipp>
> And the suspend states don´t work although, even the normal ones (S1) don´ t
> do. The laptop enters sleep mode, but isn´ t able to resume. It stops after
> the framebuffer message in the reactivation process and hangs. hibernation
> even didn´ t start.

There is a patch somewhere in acpi bugzilla, bug number 1588. It
remedied the resume problem for me a couple of kernels ago =)
But I don't use it anymore so I don't know it's status

The ony problems I have had with hibernation (software suspend 1 and
2) are AGPART and DRI related. The drivers didn't support it, so the
computer hanged/restarted on resume. Disabling them fixed the problem
(but gave much worse X performance). You might try it.

> Btw, did I mention I tried both kernels 2.6 and 2.4 ? Well, since 2.6 works
> better with anything else, I will stick to that.

Stick with 2.6.x.
And don't forget to compile the cpufreq support and it's centrino
driver.
Also take a look at laptop-mode
(http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsamwel/laptop_mode/index.html).

/B