Re: arp-discovery in laptop-net package

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Mauro Darida wrote:
> I am trying to make working the laptop-net package on my woody but
> when I try to load a scheme I get a misterious error:
>
> # /etc/init.d/laptop-net scheme test
> # arp-discovery uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
> # dpkg -S arp-discovery
> # laptop-net: /usr/lib/laptop-net/arp-discovery
>
> I cannot find any other error or message-related warn in /var/log. Any
> help? I have a 2.4.24 kernel...

That message is a warning from the kernel that the named process
(arp-discovery) is trying to use an obsolete method for accessing raw
packets on the network interface.

In a future version of the kernel, that interface will be removed
entirely, so the software should be ported to use the new version.[1]

Your software should work correctly, however, despite the warning.

     Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  I fear to say that I don't know what that is, sorry.

--
Time spent in the advertising business seems to create a
permanent deformity like the Chinese habit of foot-bonding.