Re: Installation instructions for Laptop

On 28 Mar 2004 15:13:11 -0800
harish_recian@yahoo.com (Harish) wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a HP ZE4560 AMD 1.8GhZ Laptop. I currently have Windows XP on
> my laptop however I am planning to install Linux on it. Could you
> suggets as what Versions of Linux are stable and what are the
> instructions to be followed while installing it. I have been told by
> many of my friends that installing Linux on laptop is not a good idea
> as it may make the systems unstable. Is that true
> Thanks
> Harish

Installing Linux on your laptop will not necessarily make it unstable.
It all depends on your installation and setup.  My laptop is so stable,
I only reboot it about every 3-4 months, putting it in standby mode
during transport.  I can usually get around 35 days of uptime in that
time.  My record is 36 and a half days, and I usually reboot for a
kernel update.

Refer http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual to get
started.  I run the Testing system (Sarge) and find it very stable with
new enough versions for me.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer