Null Modem on Thinkpad 755ce

Hello,

I recieved a IBM Thinkpad 755CE and thought it would be a great test subject for Debian.  I installed Debian 3.0 using the 20 disk core install.  Now my question is how would i get it to connect to the internet using a serial db9 cable hooked up the the serial port of the laptop and my winxp system? I don't know much and all i am lookin for is to get a basic x windows setup with internet and chat features.  If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

--Ranik--