Re: Setting permissions

Incoming from Aswin Venkat:

> I'm a relative newcomer to debian installation though i have used
> debian for a while. Just recently i installed debian on my
> laptop(2.4.22). Most things are working alright except my file
> permissions are a little haywire. Each time i have to run say a make
> file that creates or removes files in my user directory, i have to run
> sudo make as opposed to just make. Also, if i want to have emacs auto

This sounds very odd.  Is this user directory a simple Debian
filesystem or is there something like samba or NFS going on?
Try these:

   - What does "ls -ld $HOME" say?  Here's mine:

       drwxr-xr-x   56 keeling  keeling 4096 Feb 29 22:16 /home/keeling

   - In your $HOME, do "touch blah", now what does "ls -l blah" say?

       -rw-r--r--    1 keeling  keeling     0 Feb 29 22:18 blah

   - What does "id" say?

       uid=1000(keeling) gid=1000(keeling) groups=1000(keeling),4(adm), \
       20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),50(staff), \
       100(users)

   - What does "umask" say?

       0022

   - What does "mount" say?

       [snip]
       /dev/hda7 on /home type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
       [snip]

> backup my files while i edit them, i have to use sudo. This seems a
> little weird to me because the user(me) has ownership permissions for
> all files in the directory. Is there a way that i can modify some
> setup file so that i can avoid having to use sudo?.

- -