Re: Hot-Plug: initialize NIC during boot process

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-trigger-hotplug

As I already said, I've read the complete chapter 10 of that document.

> In   /etc/network/interfaces, add:
>
>       mapping hotplug
>               script echo

That makes no difference. As I already said: hot-plugging works, the
only problem is to activate the NIC during the boot process, if the card
is in the slot.

I found an interesting passage in the README file of the hotplug
package:

"COLD" PLUGGING AT BOOT TIME

Initializing devices that are present at boot time is easy to handle if
you install the "usbmodules" or "pcimodules" commands, and package most
kernel components (such as "usbcore") as dynamically linked modules.
(RedHat 7.1 handles this problem using "Kudzu" instead, which works more
selectively than "pcimodules".)

"Cold" plugging is different from hotplugging in that it happens while
the system is still warming up ("booting").  That means module loading
may not yet be possible when devices are first detected ... so these
scripts may need to scan the busses later, and synthesise hotplug events
to force the modules to load.  This is a particular issue for drivers
that are statically linked into the system kernel (perhaps so that they
can be used during system booting in some configuration).

If coldplugging isn't working for you (some device present at boot
time isn't properly set up), first try to unplug it and replug it.
If that works (you hotplugged it) it was a coldboot-only problem.

Debian's hotplug package contains "usbmodules", but not any kind of
"pcimodules". So I think, unless there is nothing, which scans the pci
busses, the "cold plugging at boot time" problem will persist.

At the end I think, I shall leave hotplugging (at least for pci) and
stay with pcmcia-cs.

Dieter