Re: kernel-image 2.6.2 T 40 IBM

On Monday 23 February 2004 15:08, Lukas Ruf wrote:
[snip]
> > > however, you need to take care of not upgrading X.  I took me some
> > > time to get back to 4.2 after 4.3 crashed the screen output
> > > totally.
> >
> > when I mark kernel-image-2.6.2-1-686 for installation just hotplug
> > has to be removed - my xfree86-common is 4.3.0-0ds4, so I don't have
> > to take care about not upgrading from 4.2, haven't I?
>
> No, you do not need to worry, I presume, if it is already running.

well synaptic is now prompting that I have to

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.6.2-1-686)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
booting).

   As a reminder, in order to configure LILO, you need
   to add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
   stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf

I added this line to /etc/lilo.conf (marked with ->)

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
	label=Linux
	initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
	read-only
#	restricted
#	alias=1

image=/vmlinuz.old
	label=LinuxOLD
->	initrd=/initrd.img
	read-only
	optional
#	restricted
#	alias=2

I that correct?

after saving I have to run

lilo

in a shell. haven't I? Or what does "run lilo" mean?

synaptic message:
If you have already done so, and you wish to get rid of this message,
please put
  `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
you'll continue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
image using initrd.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]

n - I don't want to stop?

sorry for my precaution but that's the first time I touched the kernel.

thanks Martin