Re: Pb with pcmcia ethernet xircom and kernel 2.6

SCETBON C ext OCISI wrote:
I have the same pbm with kernel 2.6 as it doesn't detect my card.

I have a Xircom CBE RBEM56G in a ThinkPad 600X. This card is connected using CardBus, which is managed by the hotplug system in the kernel 2.6.0. In addition, I had to use the yenta_socket module.

I suggest that you try the following:

1. Install the hotplug package (including docs)
2. Add the yenta_socket to /etc/modules (using modconf?)
3. Add an interface with the name "hotplug" to the
   /etc/network/interfaces:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Hotplug interface(s)
iface hotplug
        address 192.168.1.8
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.10

If the Xircom Card is plugged in, the module is loaded and finally the hotplug subsystem triggers an net event (added new interface eth0) which is forwarded to the /etc/hotplug/net.agent which ACTION=add and INTERFACE=eth0, which calls "ifup eth0=hotplug" in turn.

All this kind of stuff is described in the English version of the Debian reference (chapter 10 - Network configuration). Have fun!

It took me some time to discover that.

4. And not to forget: Work around a already filed bug (#227391
evbug module is loaded by default):

   Add "evbug" to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist. And unload the modules
   if it has been loaded (you can see a lot of messages in the
   /var/log/syslog -- for USB keyboards *all* keystrokes!!!)

My current problem is that the PS/2 mouse is not working with the new kernel...

Cheers, Jörg

--
Joerg Thoennes
                               http://macd.com