Re: Wireless and 2.6 status ?

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 01:36, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> >> Maybe you can send to me either your /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and tell
> >> me how you did configure you WIFI card (using /etc/network/interfaces
> >> or using the built-in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts ?).
> >
> > I use whereami (I wrote it). Essentially this uses
> > /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, but these have not changed for me to go
> > from
> > 2.4.23 -> 2.6.0.
>
> whereami ? What's that ? If you use Debian and wireless-tools you
> should use /etc/network/interfaces file no ? Can you tell me more about
> whereami and how to use it then ?

Whereami is used to have the laptop automatically detect where it is,
and reconfigure itself to suit that location.  There are a few other
packages that also try and do this also, but naturally I use my own :-)

My detection goes something like this:
 - If we are connected to a wired network
   - If we can get a DHCP address
     - Figure out which location we are at based on the address
   - Else
     - Do other things (ping, arping, ...) to figure the location
 - ElseIf we have wireless devices plugged in
   - Loop through our wireless networks and see if any work
 - Else
   - We are at the "no location" location.

And then various actions happen depending on which location I was at,
and which location I am at now.

All a gross oversimplification, of course.

Cheers,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053,  Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/             PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201       MOB: +64(21)635-694      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
          What are they doing now? http://schoolreunions.co.nz/