Re: installing debian 3.0 on a toshiba laptop

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 12:14 pm, Yannick Kalantzis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install debian woody 3.0 r1 on a toshiba
> satellite 5200-800.

[snip]
> What is funny is that Knoppix 3.3 seems to work all
> right. I installed it on another partition of the hard
> drive. From there, I am able to have a look at the
> partition where I am trying to install Debian. Using a
> "chroot" command, I can edit the "fstab" and run
> "config-base", which works fine except for the apt
> configuration (the program cannot recognize my CDROM).
> Configuring lilo manually (I also tried several
> options), I hoped to succeed in booting Debian, but
> again, I got the dreaded "kernel panic".
>
> Ten nights work or so have not been enough to solve
> the problem, so I'm asking for some help: what should
> I do?
[snip]
> yannick

If you would like Debian unstable, it is easy:

Install Knoppix following this page and its links:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall

Change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to local *.deb file sources!

Then convert to unstable following this page:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251&highlight=

With a fast internet connection, you'll be done in an hour or two.

I fought with the Debian installer trying to get Debian on my laptop.  It
asked me all of these questions that weren't answered in the manuals.  When I
used Knoppix 3.2, I had working Linux on the machine in 20 minutes.  I
haven't tested the PCMCIA, yet, but everything important, except the DVD, has
worked so far.

Peter A. Bonucci