Re: Different Network Environments

From: "Marcus Will, FG MUCOSA, +49(431)597-1487" <m.will@mucosa.de>

> > From: kasper.ronning@hut.fi [mailto:kasper.ronning@hut.fi]
> >
> > What package do you recommend for managing different network
> > environments? I don't like waiting for ages trying to get a
> > DHCP address
> > when I'm at home.
>
> I use and like
>
> laptop-net
>
> . You should have a look at it.

There are any number of such packages, but if the real problem is just the long
time until timeout of your DHCP client, you can probably shorten that without
problem.  On the network where I plug in my laptop most often, it would be
highly unusual if I had to wait 10 seconds for a DHCP response, so there's no
reason to wait for 30 seconds or more.  eg, dhclient defaults to waiting
60seconds but you can add "timeout 15" in dhclient.conf.

> > I also have three NICs, two of which are WLAN cards.
> > Is there some application that can eaasily map a predefined list of
> > network settings (including DNS resolving, wireless settings, etc.) to
> > interfaces, and then at either bootup or at runtime, choose
> > the network
> > environment I'm in?
>
> Take a look inside the
>
>     /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts