From: Martin Norland <cyn@cyn.org>
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
CC: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Multimedia Keys
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:50:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Dan Rasmussen wrote:

> Yesterday I became the proud owner of a Zippy USB Mini-Keyboard
> (http://directron.com/wk801.html). It's small, has a two-port USB hub, and > a bunch of multimedia keys. The problem is that these multimedia keys don't > work with the USB version. A friend ordered the PS/2 version and getting > the multimedia keys on the PS/2 to work with acme was no problem, but that's
> not the case here.
>
> The multimedia keys produce no output in the program xkeycaps. The Hotkeys
> site at TuxMobil
> (http://www.tuxmobil.org/Mobile-Guide.db/mobile-guide-p2c1s8-ext-keys.html) > didn't reference anything that I was sure would help me, so I thought I'd
> ask here if anybody has gone through a similar experience.  I thought of
> checking out the packages 'hotkeys' and 'lineakd' but am doubtful they'll do > anything that acme won't (other than maybe letting one decide which actions > each key takes, rather than leaving that up to acme's methods, whatever they
> are...)

I have this keyboard - both ps2 and usb versions - I'm using the usb
version right now and, while I don't use the multimedia keys for anything,
'xev' reports them as keycode's in the range of 150ish - 160ish [take a
bit of doing to get them all out] for the buttons on the left (the
'option' key seems to generate no event), and the buttons on the right are
222, 227, 112, etc. - so, they're definitely visible events, but the
keysym is often (0x0, NoSymbol) which is just related to looking up and
comparing to the keymap.  Other than the option key, they all seem to send
different keycodes - so have at it! xev is your friend (albiet *very*
spammy, especially if you use focus follows mouse/etc.)

-Martin Norland

High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com