Re: Apt-get problem

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:36:15PM +1000, Ben wrote:
> I know it's not laptop specific but..
> Just wondering if anyone has had problems with apt-get 'Dynamic MMap' ?
> If I try to do an update with the following source list:
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> deb ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> I get this error:
> Fetched 2826kB in 1m5s (43.2kB/s)
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
> E: Error occured while processing gtkam (NewVersion1)
> E: Problem with MergeList
> /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.internode.on.net_pub_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> In order for apt-get update to work I have to comment out either:
> deb ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
>
> or
> deb ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/debian/ unstable main contrib non-fre
>
> as I am running a hodge podge of testing/unstable I really would like to
> be able to use my preferences to define what I am going to download from
> unstable
> (mainly KDE & X11) whilst getting the rest from testing. Unfortunately
> this error stops me from doing this.
>
> Any clues what is goin wrong?
>
> ( and any ideas how I would set up preferences to download only kde/X11
> from unstable and everything else from testing? I have been reading the
> apt-get howto http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html,
> but can't seem to get my head around it!)
>
> cheers,
>
> Ben.

I had the same problem earlier, and had just commented out the stable
sources.  When I saw your message (before I saw the reply from Marcus
Gottwald) I was inspired to try one last time.  I have
APT::Default-Release "testing"; in my apt.conf.  I tried upgrading apt,
aptitude, and apt-utils to the latest unstable and adding stable sources
back in sources.list, and then everything worked fine (without
increasing the cache size).

...Marvin