How to disable APM COMPLETELY (Use ACPI instead?)

My Ashton Digital Passport 2100 laptop does not support APM. Not only that, but when Debian attempts to do ANYTHING with APM, it hard locks. Whether loading kernel support or installing the APM package, it'll just freeze completely.

I've seen that APM is getting installed after I run through Tasksel... I assume it's in the "laptop" package set or something. Is there some way to tell Debian, GLOBALLY, not to install APM, but to use ACPI instead?

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now! http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general