Re: toshiba libretto 100ct

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:17:32 +0100
"Murray" <debian@minty.org> wrote:

> does anyone have any pointers on installing debian on this toshiba?

Its a way cool sized machine!

> - BIOS driven pcmcia floppy, that will read the first boot floppy
> only.

Have you searched on the net about the thinkpad floppy?  I understand
that they have/had similar problems in the past.

> - no cdrom (bootable or otherwise)

PCMCIA CDROMs are not cheap, but if you cast about in your area you
could find one to borrow?

> I've got as far as putting openbsd onto the beast, but can't not
> figure out how to over-write that with debian.  I've been playing with
> debootstrap, but with very little success.

Never used it sorry.

> From my research, the existing options appear to be (1) have a window
> parition, install from there using loadin, or (2) rip out the HD, pop
> it into another machine and install, then replace in laptop.  I'm
> trying to avoid the Windows option, and I'm not very good with small
> bits of electronica, so would like to avoid (2) if I can also.

I think #1 might be your only option, because the hard drive in a
libretto is smaller than a 1.4" drive, not the standard 2.5" that
everyone seems to be expecting.  So you will require a 1.4" to 2.5"
adapter, and that isn't cheap.

> Is there an equivalent of loadin for other *nix's?  Any other ideas?

make a windows partition as big as you want for swap space later - then
reformat it after install.  Does your libretto have a network card?
You'll probably get away with the 5 Mb drivers.tgz file, but you're
still faced with the twin boot disk problem.

There are two Engligsh and one German page at
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/toshiba.html, right at the top.