Re: Dell Inspiron 5100 + DHCP

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 14:56, ThanhVu Nguyen wrote:
>  Can anyone gets the Broadcom's nic in the i5100 works with DHCP ? It
> runs fine on static ip but it just timed out when requesting dhcp, it
> can't reach the router. And there's nothing wrong with my router running
> as a dhcp server because all my other machines, all run Debian, can dhcp
> request fine.
>

> So if anyone could get this nic works w/ dhcp then there's something
> wrong w/ my linux setting on this particular machine, otherwise, that
> means I have to go buy a pcmcia ethernet card.
>

> TIA,
>

> ThanhVu Nguyen

I think we have the same Broadcom ethernet in the Inspiron 1100, a
BCM4400 chip. There are two drivers available for the card, the stable
ones from Broadcom (module bcm4400) and the kernel one (module b44 -
still under development). I was using the in kernel one for a while, but
couldn't get it to work when disconnecting-reconnecting to ethernet with
DHCP. The driver would not be able to retrieve an IP address after a
disconnect-reconnect.
I have since moved back to the official Broadcom driver, which works
flawlessly.
What kernel are you using and are you using the in-kernel driver?
Damien
--

Using Linux on the Inspiron 1100: