ASUS L5800C (temp fix)

Hi guys,

This mail is intented for everyone having problems with their Radeon
9000 on this laptop and maybe all laptops with a Samsung LTN150P1-L02
panel.

Just for google, a description of the problem:
When I start XFree86 X 4.3 with the ATI Radeon Mobility M9 Lf (AGP) I
only get a black screen. As ConstdR mentions on
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/74866 with an external
monitor attached, I can switch between the external monitor and the
laptop panel with Fn+F8 and when the panel comes up again, X is also
there. However, for those without an external monitor or for those (like
me) with an external monitor but wanting to use their laptop 'on the
road' here is...

A temporary fix is to buy a 15-pin male connector at an electronics
store an plug that into your laptop. Then, let some pins make contact in
the connector so that the hardware _thinks_ an external monitor is
plugged in. You can just use some aluminium foil (sorry, don't know the
words in english) and wrap that around the protruding pins. Then, add a
MonitorLayout option to your driver section like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Radeon Mobility 9000"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,NONE"
EndSection

which tells X that there really is no external monitor. However, Fn+F8
now works and you can get 2D/3D accelerated radeon graphics, ;-)

Of course, we still have to find out what the real problem is...

HTH,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!