Re: wireless linksys wpc11 v3

Dave Harrison <dave@nullcube.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a PCMCIA wireless card, a Linksys WPC11 v3 card.
>
> After modifying the /etc/pcmcia/hermes.conf file I have been able to
> see the interface come up in ifconfig, and it appears to be
> allocated the IP I want.
>
> With iwconfig I can set the ESSID correctly too.
>
> However I just cant get the interface to work.  I have my wireless
> AP running via openbsd (which works fine, I have a windows machine
> accessing it without a problem, and my laptop used to be openbsd and
> could access it fine too).  I have tried using tcpdump to sniff the
> interface, and I dont seem to be getting any packets at all.
>
> The one odd thing, is that when I run iwconfig I get an error about
> it being compile with Wireless Extensions version 16 and the driver
> being compiled using Wireless Extensions version 15.  This may well
> be the problem.  Am I correct in assuming the "Wireless Extensions"
> are part of the kernel ? or am I way off track ?
>
> Im using 2.4.22 as my kernel (Ive tried using 2.6 and the APM
> support seems to hang my laptop now and then).
>
> Any advice ?

I have a LinkSys WPC11 working fine in my portege 3020CT so I can
tell you what I know.

Wireless Extensions is not exactly part of the kernel. It is a bunch
of helper programs for dealing with wireless cards. iwconfig is part
of the Wireless Extensions package.

I get the version difference message too... but my card works fine.

Have you set the frequency correctly? And configured the other
variables on the card (eg: mode).

Nic Ferrier