Some help with a ASUS L2480D

Hello all,

I need some help to get debian woody working on a friend of mine's ASUS
L2480D laptop (it's the very first time I install Linux on a laptop). I
followed http://studenti.ing.unipi.it/~s244797/L2460D/ and quite
everything works but:

1) when starting X the display "blinks" (the same way as if it starts,
is immediately killed, and started again) for trhee, four times; then
it finally works. Additionally when switching from X to a console, the
screen remains "dirty" (a uniform red/yellow color) for a second or two
before to show the console itself.

Video Card is a SiS 730S and Xfree is the one from woody overwriting sis
driver files with a more recent version as told in the link above and
in http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml. I use framebuffer for
console but not for X.

2) I recompiled 2.4.19 kernel without ide cdrom support but with scsi
emulation (cdwriter is ide), but at boot it finds 7 cd drives. cdrecord
-scabus only finds one, but k3b, for example, 7.
dmesg says:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: MATSHITA  Model: UJDA740 DVD/CDRW  Rev: 1.01
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr2 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr3 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr4 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 4
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr5 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr6 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 6
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr2: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr3: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr4: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr5: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
sr6: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

3) To get information on battery charge, ... do I need to apply acpi
patch to the kernel or the acpi support from debian 2.4.19 kernel is
enough?

4) Is it harmful to eject cdrom from the button on the drive?

Some tips with this laptop?

Thanks in advance,
Flavio