Re: keyboard mapping issues

Dave Harrison wrote:

> I just want to swap my escape key with my caps lock key.  Doesnt
> sound tough does it ? ;-)

No.  I do something similar.  For me caps is always control, like the
vt100 intended.  Plus control becomes an additional escape, because I
really liked where the HP HIL keyboards put it.

> Ive tried using xkeymap to generate an xmodmap file for me, and Ive
> [...]
> any help is hugely appreciated.

I suggest you try xkeycaps.  It is a straightforward program and
allows you to swap keys interactively with the gui.  You can write
your changes out and save them to a .xmodmap file.

  apt-cache show xkeycaps

Bob