Re: No fsck in battery mode

Hello,

Slaven Peles wrote (Sun 2003-Sep-07 14:58:19 -0400):

> > An ext3 fs should not really run fsck, it looks at the journals to make
> > sure everything is order and moves on.  A minute or so, tops.
>
> But it does by default. Apparently some configuration option has to be
> changed, but I have no idea which one :-(. Could you explain in more detail
> what you've said above?

If you've been using ext2 and want to change over to ext3, try
following these steps:

1. Make sure your kernel supports ext3
   ("cat /proc/filesystems"), especially if it's the root
   partition's file system you are about to change.

2. Run "tune2fs -j /dev/hdxx" to create a (preliminary) journal
   in the ext2 filesystem on partition "/dev/hdxx".

3. Edit "/etc/fstab", pick the correct line, and change the
   filesystem parameter from "ext2" to "ext3".

4. You can immediately try
   "umount /dev/hdxx && mount /dev/hdxx". It will complain if
   the filesystem is in use; in that case rebooting is probably
   the easiest way to find out if it all worked. :-)

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/