Re: Weird X problem

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:23:31PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
> David Fokkema <dfokkema@ileos.nl> writes:
>
> > Anyway, I've got an ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility (ATI Radeon Mobility M9 Lf
> > (AGP)) with a Samsung LTN150P1-L02 TFT panel at 1400x1050.
> >
> > When I start X, I only get a black screen on my panel.
>
> Which X are you using?  I needed to go to XFree86 4.3 for my Radeon
> 9000 Mobility.  I did this by getting binary tarballs from xfree86.org
> (Xxserv.tgz and Xmod.tgz), and unpacking them in /usr/local, and
> repointing /etc/X11/X and editing the paths in XF86Config-4.

I'm running X 4.3 from experimental. Without it, the radeon 9000 isn't
even supported: no device candidate, resulting in 'no screens found'.

> > What _does_ work, however, is starting X while making sure that _no_
> > external monitor is connected. I get a black screen. Then, plug in the
> > monitor and switch between TFT/CRT twice. If I'm fast enough, my monitor
> > doesn't even come up (it doesn't support 1400x1050 anyway) but my laptop
> > panel does. I then have a fully working DRI enabled set up and can play
> > tuxracer, chromium, view DVDs, etc.
>
> ...but I think there's a DRI version incompatibility with the newer X,
> so you'd need a kernel-side DRM newer than what's in any released (2.4)
> kernel if that's important to you.

I have downloaded drm-trunk-module from Michael Daenzer's apt repository
and DRI is fully functional now: checked my logs which said 'Direct
rendering enabled', checked glxgears with and without dri, ran tuxracer
and chromium, etc.

It's just that the panel doesn't come up by itself.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!