Re: Wireless configuration?

    "Keith" == Keith Lawson <Keith.Lawson@sjhc.london.on.ca> writes:

    Keith> I'm using kernel modules for my wireless card and I've
    Keith> added them into /etc/modules so that they are loaded prior
    Keith> to the /etc/init.d/networking script running. Why am I
    Keith> getting these errors? Once the system is booted I can do
    Keith> "ifdown eth1" followed by "ifup eth1" and the card gets
    Keith> configured properly.

    Keith> Also I was wondering if there is a way to configure the
    Keith> card for multiple sites with different encryption keys?

    Keith> I can do this all with shell scripts but would prefer to
    Keith> use the "Debian way".

If this is a PCMCIA card you must not configure it with
/etc/init.d/networking because PCMCIA starts after the networking
subsystem.

In simple terms: if you put the 'auto' keyword in the stanza for eth1
in /etc/network/interfaces you need to remove the word. This will tell
the /etc/init.d/networking script to leave it alone. Let the PCMCIA
subsystem bring up the interface for you when it starts.

If this is not a PCMCIA card you probably need to figure out when the
card is detected - clearl it is not available when the networking
script runs, or perhaps it is named something other than eth1.

Cheers!
Shyamal