Re: ASUS L3800CE

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:09:14AM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> After much thinking, I decided to buy a new laptop. From the respones to
> my question about ATI cards I gathered that I really should buy a laptop
> with a Radeon card. I am thinking about buying the ASUS L3800CE with the
> ATI Radeon Mobility 7500. I looked through linux-laptop.net and the
> debian-laptop archives. Looks good...
>
> Does anyone have anything to say before I buy it?

Hi group,

Thank you all for replying. Unfortunately, the L3800 was out of stock
and they didn't know when (if at all) they would be delivered again. So
I went to another store and ordered a L5800 for about the same price,
;-) It has a Radeon 9000, which, according to a previous thread, is also
well supported by XFree 4.3. Furthermore, it has usb 2.0 instead of 1.1,
etc. There isn't an entry at linux-laptop.net, but looking through the
specs, I suspect it'll work perfectly, except for TV-Out, since the 9000
is not supported by the gatos project. Ati mentions on its website that
it is working on supporting the TV-Out for linux, so I'm optimistic
about that too.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!