Re: ide CD Bruner

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:45:49 +0200
Christoph Maurer <christoph-maurer@gmx.de> wrote:
> * Am Die, 08 Jul 2003 schrieb Alexander Wirt:
> Can you tell me what the advantages of the ATAPI method in
> comparison to the ide-scsi method are?

I don't know if this will answer your question or not, but a bit of
background: SCSI is primarily a command language, implemented over
whatever transport. There's Fibre Channel SCSI, Ethernet SCSI, etc.,
etc.. ATAPI is pretty much IDE's SCSI.

That being said, the cdrecord author (if I understand correctly) finds
some deficiencies in the Linux API for such things, and is basically
reimplementing the driver stuff that's required so he doesn't need to go
through that API.

cdrecord and ATAPI/ide-scsi drives have never given me any problems, but
I've never looked at the cdrecord code to see what kind of hacks are
necessary, so I'll just use whatever works best at any given time :)