iSeries Thinkpad 1200 installation problem

When I attempted to install Debian 3.0 with a CD set dated July 22, 2002, I found that I could not install the 2.4 kernel version.  I viewed this as important because so many of the current gnome applications depend on the later kernel and glibc which are not included with the 2.2 kernel.

When attempting to boot the installation CD (disk 1) with the 2.4 kernel installation option, the system starts to boot and then hangs in a state that is only resolved by powering down the system and then powering back up.  The last six lines of boot output are below.

Is there any way to install a system based on a Debian 2.4 kernel?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dick