Re: ACPI HOWTO (start) and (failed) installation notes

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 04:26:42PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> I'm currently running Debian on my laptop. I upgraded to the 2.4.20 kernel
> to try and get ACPI installed. Unfortunately ACPI is not supported in the
> 2.4.x series. Although Debian has applied an early patch to its kernel
> source packages, it is not the full monty. The acpi-support mailing list
> has confirmed that the other patches which have been applied to the 2.4.20
> Debian kernel-source package will make it impossible for me to compile the
> kernel without first modifying some of the Makefiles.

Do you have any additional, more specific info regarding the makefile
editing that is required?

Also, is there a particular reason for upgrading to the 2.4.20 kernel?

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5100 notebook with Debian 3.0 installed; the
2.4.18 kernel is the latest on my CD set. If necessary, I'd upgrade the
kernel, but if not, I'd rather add ACPI to the current one.

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |