Re: netinstall ext3, lilo, apm and acpi

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 13:02, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> Because the laptop comes with  only a DVD/CDROM player I will have to
> install from CDROM.  I will first start with a netinstall booted from
> CDROM.  Does anybody know a iso with ext3 support?

The LordSutch.com netinst boot-cd's (45MB and 185 MB) have ext3 support
if you boot with a 2.4 kernel (isolinux option bf24)

> Also, will it be possible to resize ntfs partitions with cfdist/fdisk?
> I want to shrink the winxp partion so I can use the laptop when the

I have no idea... safest bet is to use partition magic... I'm sure some
googling / p2p-ing will find you a copy...

> install doesn't work at once.  What with lilo?  Do thinkpads work with
> lilo.  I haven't set up a dualboot ever...

I don't see why not... but I prefer grub any day...

> I read on several pages that acpi is needed to do the hibernation
> thing.  If I want to use hibernation I should put a fat32 partion on
> the laptop.  Right?  But what is the difference with apm and acpi?
> Apm doesn't hibernate, but I don't think I need it in the beginning.
> If I'm correct hibernate let's you supend your laptop and when you use
> it again everythings the same as before you suspend?  I don't
> understand what they mean with suspend with acpi and apm.  What's the
> difference?
> Could someone explain me what apm/acpi does?

I don't use acpi... never worked for me (probably because I have a
really crappy no-name laptop)

APM works... but only suspend to memory... so it eats power (less then 5
hours on my beast)

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT