Re: using an old laptop as a base station

Le 12161ième jour après Epoch, drew cohan écrivait:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know where I can find information on how to build a wireless
> base station from an old laptop using debian? As of right now, I've been > able to setup a 486 laptop with eth0 & eth1, eth0 being wired and eth1 being > a wireless card under debian 3.0r1 with bf2.4 kernel (works well). What I > don't know how to do is to take information from eth0 and pass it onto eth1
> to act as a wireless base station.

Do the same with wired cards :)

Specify ip_forward=yes into /etc/network/options is the first step. There is
probably a good HOWTO describing routing linux systems.

I use firestarter. It is a GTK+ (also works under Window Maker) app that builds you an iptables script. It has a neat little wizard that asks you if you want to enable things like ipmasquerading, certain ports and services, and then builds you script and starts the filtering services.

-Roberto