Re: laptop recommendation

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Ben Southwood wrote:

> Try the Asus L3C series,
>
> Mine is a 1.7GHZ 512Mb DDR ATI Radeon M7500 Ram 15" 1400x1050 40Gb HDD CD-RW/DVD combo drive
> not tooo heavy big screen, love it! currently running Woody, RH7.3 & M$ XP Pro (the things you have to do for work..!)
>
> needed to update sndconfig & XFree86 from unstable to get sound & Xwindows working, haven't tried cd-rw/dvd under linux yet (still use nero for that..)

I also own a L3C and it works very well under Linux. It depends a bit on
what you man by "not heavy". I've searched a bit before I bought this one
and I'll post you what I found
(and I eventually concluded that I would bare 3.5Kg for the sake of
havving a good DRI supported card, and for a much better value, so I
bought the L3C and I'm quite happy with it)

L3C: P4-m, Radeon 7500, 15" Lcd 1400x1050, All-In-One, 3.5Kg
(yeh they say 3.2, but put them to a scale and see for yourself)

My choices at the moment were
Compaq EVO N800V : Very similar to L3C hardware, no internal floppy,
removable optical drive. 2.5Kg to 2.9Kg, +500-700 EUR

Asus L3E: same as L3C, with sis chipset instead of radeon. Cheaper, but
DRI support is still not available. Cheaper than L3C

Asus L4: As L3E series, without the built-in-floppy. They say 3.0 Kg (so,
200g less than sey advertise the L3) so you can expect 3.3 Kg. Cheaper
than L3C

Acer 630: P4m, geforce2go, removable optical drive, 2.6-2.9 Kg. Something
between the L3C price and the compaq price.
I just notisted that now there is a acer 650, that is similar but with the
radeon 7500

All these have 15" LCD 1400x1050
I decided to go with the "more value for the money" that would give me cpu
and graphics performance, letting go the weight. So I ended up with a
all-in-one , instead of a modular/swappable laptop (that was my original
choice), and chose ATI 7500 instead of the others because I wanted a good
graphics performance with dedicated memory and support for DRI.

(sis [the 650 model, I think] had no DRI support, and has shared memory)
(I also think geforce2 is less powerfull than radeon 7500)

So, it depends.. What are your requirements for mobility? What are your
requirements for screen size/resolution?

I do development and some system adminstration. In my opinion, I can tell
you: If I needed to choose again, I could choose a lighter laptop, a
modular one, a different cpu, other memory or disk drive, or even
another graphics card... But I garantee
you I would never go back to those 1024x768 screens again.. (As long as I
have the money for it, of course)

But hey, this is my particular taste and requirements.. Think what you'll
do with it, how long will you carry it..

Joao Clemente