R31 install to a second drive

I have thinkpad r31

I purchased an extra drive, that replaces the CD. Once
I have done the initial install. I intend to put the
new drive in a caddy that replaces the CD-ROM.

I did a test, I installed woody on the new drive,
which installed where the main drive sits. (I needed
the CD-ROM). I move the drive into the caddy, however
the kernal panic on bootup, and cannot mount the root
file system. I guess because the root file system is
mounted drive on a different IDE channel.

Is the a configuration file that I can change so that
install the drive in it's new location.

Thanks