Acer TM 634 fan always on

Hey all:

My laptop fan is *always* on (well as long as the computer's on). And when
when I boot into windows the fan instantly turns off (it may come back on
for short periods, but it's not for a little bit).

I'm getting tired of the hum...and as of tonight there's a very slight
vibration in the right side of the keyboard.

Is it normal for the fan to *always* be on? (i.e. from boot even before I
login it's on) Is there any way to make the fan turn off and use a more
(windows-ish) cycle of on-off time?

thanks

emma

--