/dev/modem is probed during boot

Hi,

I've got a laptop with an internal winmodem which lspci displays as :
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. Intel 537 [82801BA/BAM AC'97 Modem] (rev 05)

I've successfully compiled the pctel-drivers, and the modem is working fine.
In order to load the modules automatically, I have the following in
/etc/modutils/modem :

alias char-major-62 ptserial
below ptserial pctel
# country code for pctel modem
options ptserial country_code=2

The problem is that at boot time the modules are always loaded. This has 2
consequences :
- I have to restart my alsa daemon manually afterwards or else I won't get
any sound
- my kernel is tainted (the modules use non-gpled binaries)

The only solution I've found so far is to comment out my
/etc/modutils/modem, and to load the modules by hand. I think there must be
something which probes /dev/modem or all the /dev/tttyS??, thus loading the
pctel modules, but I've been unable to find it.

Does anyone see what could cause the loading ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

--
Boris