RE: Dell Inspiron 4100 Nvidia Gforce2 GO Problem

> > I have a dell Inspiron 4100 (PIII, 20GB, 256MB, Nvidia GForce 2 GO)and
> > have installed Debian 3.0 (woody) I?am having problems getting
> X to run on
> > it.

I'm not quite sure, but I think GForce2 GO is not supported in the XFree
version currently packaged in Woody.
You should use sarge's or sid's xfree 4.2
I also have a NVidia GForce Go and I'm running debian Sid with NVidia's
propietary drivers and they are easy to install, given you know how to build
a kernel.

You can find nvidia's drivers at:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux

In my case I would like to adopt the free nv drivers and can't get to
reinstall them again. Has anybody done this sucessfully?... Google doesn't
seen to help here...
As far as I know, these free drivers only lack 3D acceleration (useful for
games, fundamentally), but they have the great virtue of being free.

Here you have a link showing a kernel recompile the Debian way:
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.html

Good luck,

--
Rafael Villar Burke